Being apart of a brand like Salon Sessions is extremely eclectic. Not only is our mission to grow our stylists technical skills (color techniques, cutting secrets, etc.) but we also like to put an emphasis on their personal growth. With Behind The Sessions, We want to make sure every person that reads our blog can take somethnig from it no matter who you are or what you do; wether you are a beloved client of ours or a hairdresser that vibes with our brand.
“I’ll start next week.” “There’s always next year.” “Maybe in a couple of months.”
Procrastination. Creative people are notorious for it.
According to Tim Urban, there are 2 types of procrastination; short-term procrastination with a deadline and long-term procrastination without a deadline.
“If you wanted to have a career where you’re a self-starter in the arts, something entrepreneurial, there’s no deadlines on those things at first, because nothing’s happening, not until you’ve gone out and done the hard work to get some momentum, do things get going.” – Tim Urban
Guess what! Your career as a hairdresser is most definitely in the arts. “Not until after you’ve gone out and done the hard work to get some momentum, do things get done.” For us, this means your clientele, your education, your brand is NOT going to grow until you start putting in the hard work. Point blank. Period.
So here are some tips to jumpstart your end of procrastination.
- Write down your goal & give it a deadline. A goal without a deadline is only a wish.
- Break your big goals into small steps. The bigger your goals, the more overwhelming. Break it into mini steps to make the task look smaller.
- Visualize your future. Imagine actually reaching this goal. The emotions you will feel, celebrating success.
- Embrace fear. If you are comfortable with your goals and if they don’t scare you or send your brain into a clouded vision, they aren’t big enough. Embrace each step.
- Reward your progress. Knocked a huge portion of your to-do list out? Do something for yourself.
- Act courageously. Starting today, build momentum. Commit to stepping out of your comfort zone often.
- Don’t be a perfectionist.
- Make your intentions public. This adds healthy pressure and accountability to deliver.
It doesn’t matter how fast you are going, as long as you’re making moves toward something that inspires you. So take your first step, life rewards action!
@salon_sessions | #salonsessions